• General Information

    Full Name of University:

    Wichita State University

    Number of Utrecht Network semesters you can accept during 2019/20 (not students):


    General University Website:


    International Office/Website for Incoming Students:


    Contact person for incoming and outgoing students:

    Contact for Incoming Students:

    Ann Burger

    Associate Director for Study Abroad & Exchange Programs

    Office of International Education

    1845 N Fairmount St, Campus box 122

    Wichita, KS 67260-0122

    +1-316-978-5374 (tel)

    +1-316-978-3232 (tel- main office)

    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

    Contact for Outgoing Students:

    Ann Burger

    Associate Director for Study Abroad & Exchange Programs

    Office of International Education

    1845 N Fairmount St, Campus box 122

    Wichita, KS 67260-0122

    +1-316-978-5374 (tel)

    +1-316-978-3232 (tel- main office)

    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

    Application website. If paper only, please write “paper only.”

    Please apply at: http://webs.wichita.edu/?u=intlstabroad&p=/incoming_students/  Direct link to the application form: https://www.wichita.edu/academics/studyabroad/documents/Exchange_Student_Application_19-20.pdf 

    How does the application and admissions process differ for undergraduate versus graduates?

    The application process for graduate students takes more time and should be started much earlier.  There are also additional requirements depending on the graduate program so students should contact the incoming students coordinator to consult the process and availability for a particular graduate program.

    Other important notes

    Last updated

    5 FEB 2019

  • Academics

    Areas of study open to undergraduate exchange students (list explicitly)

    Are graduate areas open for exchange?


    Areas of study open to graduate exchange students (list explicitly)

    Some graduate programs are open to graduate level exchange students while other departments may only have limited course selection available to exchange students.  Exchange partner coordinators should inquire before nominating any graduate level student.  Additional admission requirements/documents will be required and graduate applicants should apply as early as possible.  Admission to the graduate program is at the discretion of the graduate department and Graduate School.

    Can advanced undergraduate students take graduate level courses?


    Can graduate student take undergraduate level courses?


    Areas of study restricted to prior bilateral agreements between exchange departments or faculties


    Areas of study not available to exchange students

    Some areas of engineering and education are limited.

    Degrees within Health Professions is generally not available to exchange students.

    Websites for course offerings

    Complete list and brief descriptions: http://www.wichita.edu/thisis/academics/catalogs.asp 
    Upcoming semester offerings: http://webs.wichita.edu/?u=registrar&p=/coursesnew/ 

    Required minimum and maximum number of credits available through the exchange

    For both undergraduate & graduate

    Minimum 12 credit hours for undergraduates (can be allowed up to 15 credit hours per semester)

    Minimum 9 credit hours for graduates (9 hours is maximum in most cases)

    Students may enroll in additional credit hours over the maximum; however, they will be responsible for paying tuition and fees associated with the additional hours.

    Are summer courses available as exchange (non fee-paying)?

    If so, please provide summer school website.


    Do students register for classes in advance or upon arrival?

    Students are generally able to register in most of their classes prior to arrival during the registration period, which begins in April for fall semester and in November for spring semester.

    Language Requirements

    No test score is required as long as an English Proficiency Certification Letter is provided(see application for details).
    Requirements vary depending on graduate program.

    Language test certificate required?

    If so, which and when: before admission or upon arrival?


    Preparatory language course for incoming students?

    Indicate dates and costs

    None.  Classes are offered during the semester, however one 3 credit hour intensive English language course would replace an academic course.

    Are there any special advising or registrations concerns that students should be aware of? Are services available to assist in registration or course selection?

    The incoming exchange student coordinator will assist students in regards to course registration and provide details for academic advisors in various departments as needed prior to arrival.

    Additional Notes

    Last updated

    5 FEB 2019

  • Dates

    Host Application deadline for each term

    For Fall or Academic Year: 1 May
    For Spring: 15 October
    Graduate applicants should contact the coordinator and submit materials as early as possible.

    Academic Calendar

    Please list exact dates

    Fall Semester: 19 August 2019- 12 December 2019

    Spring Semester: 21 January 2020- 14 May 2020

    Examination period(s)

    Exams are held during the last week of each term.

    If there is a break between the academic course calendar and exams, can arrangements be made so the student may take exams early?

    (i.e. semester ends in December and exams are late January).

    No, there is no break between classes and exams.

    Orientation session(s) for incoming students

    Is it mandatory, indicate dates and costs

    Yes, orientation is mandatory and takes place one week prior to the start of classes in August for the fall and in January for the spring (specific dates will be provided in predeparture materials).  There is no charge.

    Course registration deadline

    Course registration begins approximately four months prior to fall semester and two months prior to spring semester.  Students may add/drop courses within the first week of classes with prior approval.

    Last updated

    5 FEB 2019

  • Costs

    Total cost estimates per month in US Dollars

    (broken down below) Students must show at least $7,075 per semester in funding.


    $880 per month(The Flats-- apartment complex on-campus)


    $530 per month(estimate, however could be lower depending on each student based on cooking own meals or eating out)


    $600 per semester (estimate- varies depending on which courses & how many courses)

    Local Transportation

    On-campus shuttle is free, students will need extra money to take public bus/taxis or uber.

    Health Insurance

    $825 per semester for the current health insurance plan provided by WSU.  All international students on F or J visa are required to have health insurance that must meet the university's minimum requirements.


    (please indicate and specify any mandatory additional fees)

    No other mandatory fees are required, however students should budget for personal expenses at $100 to $200 per month.

    Is comparable health insurance coverage from abroad allowed/not allowed?

    If not, please include fees in “other” field above.

    Yes, students can apply for health insurance waivers.  Please see website for details:  http://webs.wichita.edu/?u=intl&p=/insurancewaivers/ 

    Additional Notes

    Last Updated

    5 FEB 2019

  • Housing and Student Life

    Is housing assistance available? How do students apply, and is it guaranteed?

    Housing assistance for on-campus is available and generally guaranteed if students apply at least two months prior to the start of the semester. Students apply through the website below.

    Housing options

    Accommodations on campus:
    1. The Flats (apartments)
    2. The Suites (residence hall)
    3. Shocker Hall (residence hall)
    *Generally, exchange students will live in The Flats, based on age and availability. Check with the Housing Office with more details about staying in a particular accommodation. Exchange students are generally
    required to live on-campus, just as all first-year students at WSU. For an exception, students must go through the Housing Office.  

    Housing Website and Contact Person(s)

    University Residence Halls and Apartments: www.wichita.edu/housing 

    Do students apply for housing with their regular application or is it separate?

    Please list housing application deadline.

    Once students are admitted, they may apply for housing.  We encourage students to apply early as assignments are made on a first-come basis.

    What kinds of health facilities are available at the university?

    Student Health Services is available on-campus for students.  Please see website for a full list of services offered: http://webs.wichita.edu/?u=shc&p=/index_new/ 

    Counseling & Testing Services is available on-campus.  Please see website for a full list of services offered: http://www.wichita.edu/thisis/home/?u=coutstctr1

    Heskett Center is a campus recreation facility available to students with most services at no cost.  Please see website for a full list of services offered:  http://www.wichita.edu/thisis/home/?u=campusrecreation   

    Are internships available?

    Yes, it is possible for students to find their own internships.  There is a Career Development Center on-campus that can provide resources to students, however the student is responsible for finding an internship that is directly related to their major and approved by the Office of International Education at WSU.

    Are student jobs available/allowed?

    Yes, students are allowed to work on campus up to 20 hours per week.  Jobs are generally limited in number.

    Additional Notes

    Last Updated

    5 FEB 2019